ATTN!!! Due to staffing limitations, scheduling for Fall 2017 fieldtrips will not begin until mid-September. Please submit the fieldtrip request form(link below) and we will be in touch to schedule. We appreciate your understanding!
Field Trip Request Form
- Facilitated tours and field trips are offered Monday through Friday between 9am and 12pm from March 1 to May 31 and September 1 to December 31. Some afternoons are available; please contact us to check availability.
- We have a minimum of ten students and a preferred maximum of 60 per day. We understand that two classes may have more than a total of 60 students and we will accommodate that. Occasionally we can accommodate larger groups on one day with staggered facilitated trips. Please inquire for more information.
- Fees for guided or self-guided field trips are:
- For New Hanover County Schools $2 per student
- For private schools within New Hanover County $3 per student
- For any schools outside of New Hanover County $4 per student
- Self-guided tours are available anytime the garden is open but must be scheduled ahead of time by filling out a Field Trip Request Form.
- We will be on paved sidewalks and nature trails. If any students have mobility issues, please let us know ahead of time.
- Please download and bring signed permission slips on the day of the field trip.
- Please prepare your students for the field trip by reviewing expectations and packet(see links below for different grade levels). Teachers are responsible for student behavior and discipline while on the trip.
- For everyone’s safety, running is not permitted and students must stay behind the educator at all times.
- Teachers are responsible for first aid. Please bring ALL first aid items that might be needed, especially epi-pens or other medication for potential allergic reactions.
- After your field trip, please review our post-visit activities(see links below for different grade levels). Also, please complete the evaluation form to help us make sure your experience is the best that it can be.
3d Grade Pre-Visit Activities
3rd Grade Post-Visit Activities
Airlie Gardens Program Evaluation
- In cases of extreme weather (thunderstorms, heavy rain, extreme temperatures) you may choose to cancel a trip. Please call or email as soon as possible if you want to cancel due to weather. We will reschedule if there are dates available.
- If you need to cancel your field trip for any reason besides bad weather, please provide at least one week notice.
- Our field trips are held primarily outside and will be hands-on. Closed toe shoes and clothes that can get wet and/or dirty are strongly recommended.
- Please check the weather ahead of your field trip and give students examples of what to bring (rain jacket, hats, gloves, etc.). Students will get more out of the field trip if they are comfortable.
Snacks and Lunch:
- If your class normally has a snack during the time that you will be visiting, please consider whether they will need to bring a snack on the day of the field trip. There are places around the garden where we can stop for snack, so please let us know if you’d like us to fit that in to the field trip.
- You are welcome to bring a picnic lunch to enjoy after your field trip. Please bring blankets or towels to sit on as seating is very limited.
- One parent chaperone per class will be admitted for free. All additional chaperones will need to pay the regular garden admission fee. Please see our website for current pricing.