Airlie Gardens provides a unique backdrop for photography and in order to maintain the beauty of the gardens and its services, fundraising is an essential part of the financial future of the Airlie Gardens Foundation. A fee applies to any *”portrait ‘style’” or commercial photography(amateur or professional).
- Portrait Style photography refers to but is not limited to: bridal, family, engagement, or individual portrait photos; as well as, the use of photography props, formal or event-specific attire, a change of clothing, subjects or models (professional or amateur), a pre-arranged photographer (professional or amateur), or other similar situations, as determined by staff.
- Cell phone, nature photography, and casual picture taking are permitted on the grounds.
- Please see our photography policy below for more information. To ensure availability for your portrait session please call or email to schedule at 910-798-7705 / firstname.lastname@example.org .
To schedule a portrait session, please click here
Airlie Gardens Photography Policy
Ticket Prices: Tax Inclusive
- $5-New Hanover County Residents (proof of ID required at purchase)
- $5- Military (proof of ID required at purchase)
- $3- Children (4-12 years)
- Children under 4 are free!
BUY DAILY GARDEN ADMISSION TICKETS HERE. To receive discounted rates for Military and New Hanover County residents tickets must be purchased on-site with valid ID. These passes are not valid for special events.
Airlie Gardens is part of New Hanover County Government. All job openings are posted on http://www.nhcgov.com/HR/Pages/JobOpportunities.aspx. The County has an online application process. We do not accept mailed resumes.
No pets, leashed or off leash, are permitted at Airlie Gardens.
We do allow simple picnicking in the gardens with the standard admission fee. Since our garden is often the site of many weddings and educational events, and is very popular for weekend visitation, many garden locations may be very busy or unavailable for picnicking on weekends. If you are planning a weekend picnic, please call ahead of your visit to confirm grounds availability, availability is not guaranteed.
Please observe the following guidelines when planning to picnic at the garden:
We have a limited number of picnic tables available throughout the garden on a first-come, first- serve basis; otherwise, blanket picnics only. We DO NOT allow personal tables, chairs, or outside catering for picnics. We DO NOT allow formal or informal pre-arranged gatherings or celebrations in the gardens such as birthday parties, religious ceremonies, business luncheons etc., without prior arrangements. All gatherings or celebrations, informal or formal, require a prepaid event fee. If prior arrangements are not made for such gatherings as described above, Airlie Gardens reserves the right to require that you exit the garden.
The Azaleas for our area typically bloom between mid-March thru mid-April and put on quite a display; we have over 75,000 on the property. Peak bloom falls somewhere in between, however we’ve had a warm winter, so it looks like the early range for peak bloom may be the best bet. We also have planted 100,000 seasonal bulbs for this spring; the bloom time varies. The best time to see our blossoms are times mentioned earlier, but this is weather dependent, if the temperatures are a sustained 80 degree days and 60 degree nights they may open sooner and finish earlier as well.
Airlie Gardens is predominantly a walking experience, but many of our paths and gardens are easily accessible by wheelchair. Thanks to funding from two local foundations, we also offer an Accessibility Tram. On scheduled days, the tram drives a route around the gardens. You can get on and off the tram at your leisure. We have six tram stops in the Gardens. Click here for the Tram Schedule.
Airlie Gardens is a beautiful place for taking photos. The Gardens are a great backdrop for bridal portraits, engagement photos, family portraits, and spectacular wildlife. We are also a popular site for Plein Air artists.
We do have a Photography Policy and associated fees that apply to photographers (professional and amateur), and artists for portrait style photography:
“Portrait ‘Style’ photography” as used herein includes, but is not limited to: bridal, family, engagement, or individual portrait photos; as well as, the use of photography props, formal or event-specific attire, a change of clothing, subjects or models (professional or amateur), a pre-arranged photographer (professional or amateur), or other similar situations, as determined by staff.
For more information or to book your photography session please contact Nicole Herron: email@example.com / 910-798-7705
Cell phone, nature photography, and casual picture taking are permitted on the grounds. A signed release is required for images specific to Airlie Gardens that are placed on exhibit or sold for profit. *
Airlie Gardens does not offer food service. Please stop by the Visitor Services Office in the Garden Services Center to view a collection of menus from area restaurants. There are more than 15 restaurants within 1 mile of the Gardens!
Fishing and kayaking are not part of our regular schedule of activities. Fishing is prohibited in Airlie.
- Join or Renew Online! Use your E-receipt to redeem membership benefits immediately! Your Membership Card will be mailed to you, please allow 7-14 business days for processing.
- Join or Renew Onsite! You may visit the Airlie Gardens Gift Shop during regular business hours(Mon-Sun 9am-4:30pm). We accept Cash, Check and Credit(Visa, MasterCard & Discover)