Few places in the Cape Fear region capture as much natural beauty and ecological diversity as Airlie Gardens. Freshwater ponds, salt marsh shorelines, magnolia forests, acres of flowers and open fields are just some of the varied habitats found on the grounds. This dynamic environment provides natural outdoor learning space and ample opportunities for place-based educational programming. Fieldtrip Request Form
Airlie’s Environmental Education (EE) Program provides inquiry-based learning and experiential, hands-on activities to teach concepts in wildlife, soil stewardship, water quality and more. Education offerings are diverse and range from curriculum correlated field trips to citizen science and bird hikes. Facilitated tours and field trips are offered Monday through Friday throughout the entire year; please contact us to check availability. Fieldtrips Offered
Rates & Guidelines
Students & Teachers
We have a minimum of ten students and a preferred maximum of 60 per day. We can accommodate larger groups with staggered facilitated trips. Please inquire for more information.
- New Hanover County(NHC) School – $2/student
- Private schools within NHC – $3/student
- Schools outside of NHC – $4/student
- Teachers – FREE
Chaperones and Siblings
All chaperones and siblings will be charged regular garden admission
- General Admission- $9
- NHC Residents/Military (with valid ID) – $5
- Children age 4-12 – $3
- Children under 4 – FREE
- Members – FREE
- We will be on paved sidewalks and nature trails. If any students have mobility issues, please let us know ahead of time.
- Teachers are responsible for student behavior and discipline while on the trip and must be present during the field trip.
- Teachers are responsible for first aid. Please bring ALL first aid items that might be needed, especially epi-pens or other medication for potential allergic reactions.
- Cancellation policy- In cases of extreme weather (thunderstorms, heavy rain, extreme temperatures) you may choose to cancel a trip. Please call or email as soon as possible if you want to cancel due to weather. We will reschedule if there are dates available. If you need to cancel your field trip for any reason besides bad weather, please provide at least one week notice.
- Dress- Our field trips are held primarily outside and will be hands-on. Closed toe shoes and clothes that can get wet and/or dirty are strongly recommended. Please dress for the weather. Students will get more out of the field trip if they are comfortable.
- Snacks and Lunch
- There are places around the garden where we can stop for a snack, please let us know if you’d like us to fit that into the field trip.
- You are welcome to bring a picnic lunch to enjoy after your field trip. Please bring blankets or towels to sit on as seating is very limited.