Hurricane Florence Update (10/10/18): Airlie Gardens will be closed until further notice as we recover from Hurricane Florence. Administrative office and gift shop will open 10/23/18 for membership services, Enchanted Airlie ticket sales and gift shop from 9am-4pm. Our goal is to have the gardens open to the public late October or early November.
Scheduling a Field Trip:
Please contact Airlie Gardens as soon as possible to reserve your Field Trip date and time, space is limited. At least two weeks advance notice is required to make a reservation. To book complete the Education Program Request Form .
Structured education programs led by Airlie Gardens’ staff are offered Monday through Fridays. Pre-registration and payment where applicable are required. Airlie is limited to the number of students it can handle at one time for school programs, so please call ahead to determine if more than one day is needed to accommodate large groups on a field trip. Teachers are welcome to lead self-guided tours of the garden with their students, but prior approval must be given by the Environmental Education Office.
Any school within New Hanover County, private or public, kindergarten through college, can schedule an education program at Airlie Gardens for a nominal fee. New Hanover County Public School students will be charged $2 per student, For-profit child care groups & private schools will be charged $3 per student. For-profit child care groups, private schools, and schools from outside of New Hanover County will be charged $4 per student to participate in an Airlie education program.
Before the Trip:
- The group leader should discuss behavior expectations with students and chaperones. Airlie Gardens is not responsible for disciplining misbehaved students.
- Each group should be divided into teams prior to arrival. Each team must have an adult chaperone. Airlie recommends a 1:10 ratio between chaperone and students.
- Make sure the students dress appropriately for the weather. Comfortable, close-toed shoes are required.
- If you are going to be late or need to cancel, please notify Airlie Gardens as soon as possible. (910-798-7700)
While at Airlie Gardens:
- When on hikes, students should walk behind the interpreter at all times. Running is not permitted.
- All of the plants and animals are protected and should not be touched or removed unless the interpreter gives permission.
- Please use the recycling bins and trash containers, do not litter.
- Stay on the garden trails, and be careful to avoid obstacles in the garden like fire ant mounds, animal homes or tripping hazards.
- In case of emergency, please contact Garden Staff immediately.
- Groups are welcome to picnic on the grounds after their program, but seating is limited so large groups should bring their own blankets to sit on.
After the Trip:
- Encourage students to seek answers to any questions they may have after visiting the Gardens.
- If appropriate, give evaluations or tests to find out if the students gained knowledge.