One of the great strengths of the Garden is our talented and hardworking group of volunteers. Our dedicated volunteers enjoy the beauty of nature, while playing an important role in the protection and preservation of New Hanover County’s historic garden. Volunteering at the Garden provides an opportunity to meet people with similar interests and give the community the gift of your time. Airlie is always looking for new volunteers to join the team.
Fill out Volunteer Application Form below to request more information, or contact Nicole Herron, Guest Services Coordinator at email@example.com / 910-798-7566
- Garden Guide: Trained in the history/horticulture/ecology of Airlie Gardens, gives walking tours to pre-scheduled groups.
- Grounds: Thursday at 9am, performs gardening tasks within the garden, always directed by Airlie staff.
- Tram Driver: Drives accessibility Tram through the garden for guests, optional training in history/horticulture/ecology. Age requirement 25 years or older. Background and Drivers check required.
- Events: Assist with our special events: ticketing, parking, greeting, etc. Events include: Summer Concerts, Enchanted Airlie, NHC resident Free Day & Family Fun Night.
- Gift Shop/Clerical: Gift shop, membership & ticket sales, orient guests to the Airlie experience, use of cash register and credit card machine.
- Environmental Programs: Assisting with habitat or lifecycle interpretation during special events, staffing for booths at relevant outreach festivals, and assisting with maintenance in our “bug zoo” and butterfly house. Specialized training and background checks are required.
- Garden Ambassador: Our newest volunteer opportunity, garden ambassadors are stationed at an area of public interest within the garden, educating guests about different topics related to the Airlie experience. Topics may include anything from birding and butterflies to history and horticulture. Also an option to assist with outreach. (2-hour Topic specific Ambassador Trainings are scheduled following each “new volunteer” orientation)
Airlie Gardens volunteers must be 16 years of age or older
Upcoming Volunteer Events & Trainings
Throughout 2020, Airlie Gardens will host several topic-intensive, introductory training sessions geared towards new volunteers. If you would like to participate in a training, please first complete the online volunteer application. Space will be limited for each training and priority will be given to new volunteers; however, returning and long-standing volunteers are encouraged to participate, as well. New volunteers should arrive 10-15 minutes early for a quick introduction presentation before training begins.
For more information regarding The Volunteer Experience, or to register for your first training, please contact Nicole Herron, Volunteer Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org / 910-798-7566
For those interested in becoming a Garden Guide, Minnie Evans Garden Ambassador or Tram Driver, stay tuned for the next round of training sessions coming late Spring & Fall 2020!
Volunteer Training Portal
This portal is a training resource for our current volunteers. For access please contact Nicole Herron, Guest Services Coordinator: email@example.com / 910-798-7566